Thursday, February 27, 2014

All Around The World


All Around The World
14" x 10.5" x 2"
Mixed Media

All Around The World
My shadow-box represents the unity between globalized and native culture through the spread of globalization. First, I tried to put the pieces together to have an even amount of globalized culture and native culture. Although, it seems that my shadow-box has more globalized culture than the native culture itself. Overall, my shadow-box shows that I like to travel around the world and I collect little things from various countries. I also see how celebrities, models, singers from all around the world dress differently and it also resembles that each countries have their own unique characteristics.

I used movie tickets, clothes tags, a school ID, an airplane ticket, and ticket shows as the background. I used these images and objects because the movie tickets came from abroad, movies that were imported from outside Indonesia, my home country. I used clothing tags because most of the brands were produced and made in countries outside of Indonesia. I also used my school ID because I attend to Surabaya International School where there are lots of foreign students in my school. The airplane tickets show that we can go to other countries by using an airplane. Lastly, the ticket shows how that I often go abroad and I watched performance shows where there is dancing and singing showcasing their culture. The idea using a mannequin in my artwork comes from the boutique and clothing stores all around the world, because every time I go to another country, sometimes I buy clothes from stores that are not in Indonesia or particularly in Surabaya. I put the faces of celebrities, singers and models on the mannequin because they remind me that there are lots of famous people outside my country, especially in the United States. Most of them really inspire people all around the world. For instance, their outfits are different from how the people in Indonesia dress. That is why I put cropped photos of famous people on the mannequin.

I also put several souvenirs from other countries. Those are little things from countries that I have ever been to and joint them together to show the meaning of globalization. Globalization creates access to all the countries; today, due to globalization, we can fly to other countries. The Chinese knot shows that China is one of the most globalized countries since it produces a lot of things. The tea and the coffee represent that food is also an effect of globalization where foods and cultures in each country are different. The red ribbon on the top left shows that Indonesia ‘ties’ various things from all around the world and it shows that Indonesia is effected by globalization.


I was influenced by the things I bought from other countries since I often go abroad with my family. It shows culture and globalization by its food, clothes, and even the national animal of Australia, the koala. Each country has its own special culture and it blends together with another country through globalization. My shadow-box represents various cultures, joint together as a whole and brought together by globalization.

No comments:

Post a Comment